Frenlo is still in early beta.
This is a draft version of our terms.
Please let us know if you have questions or concerns.
Terms of Service
We (the folks at Frenlo) have seen, firsthand, the scale of potential harm that social media can have. We have also seen, firsthand, the good parts of being able to share parts of our lives with the people who are not always around. Both of these reasons are why we built Frenlo.
We want a social connection platform that prioritizes each one of us and our communities. We want to be encouraged to use that platform in a way that is nourishing, for us and for our friends. We have a Community Safety Policy and below are our Terms of Service so that we can keep making Frenlo better. We may update these Terms of Service in the future (like if we add new features or functionality that are not covered by the existing Terms, for example).
When we say "Company", "Frenlo", "we", "our", or "us" in this document, we are referring to Frenlo, PBC.
When we say "Services", we mean any product created and maintained by the Company. That includes wherever you use or access Frenlo including within a web browser, desktop application, mobile application, or another format.
When we say "You" or "your", we are referring to the people or organizations that own an account with one or more of our Services.
When you use our Services, now or in the future, you are agreeing to the latest Terms of Service. That's true for any of our existing and future products and all features that we add to our Services over time. There may be times where we do not exercise or enforce any right or provision of the Terms of Service; in doing so, we are not waiving that right or provision. These terms do contain a limitation of our liability. If you violate any of the terms, we may terminate your account.
If you use the Services to access, collect, or use personal information about other Frenlo users ("Personal Information"), you agree to do so in compliance with applicable laws. You further agree not to sell any Personal Information, where the term "sell" has the meaning given to it under applicable laws.
For Personal Information you provide to us, you represent and warrant that you have lawfully collected the Personal Information and that you or a third party has provided all required notices and collected all required consents before collecting the Personal Information. You further represent and warrant that Frenlo’s use of such Personal Information in accordance with the purposes for which you provided us the Personal Information will not violate, misappropriate or infringe any rights of another (including intellectual property rights or privacy rights) and will not cause us to violate any applicable laws.
Statement on Advertising
We believe that one of the reasons existing social media platforms are causing harm is because they are funded by advertising. When your revenue comes from somewhere other than your users, that is who you end up building for, and that is who you end up protecting.
By paying for a subscription, you are helping us keep the lights on and prioritize your safety as we improve Frenlo. We strive to make our platform accessible, which is why we regularly evaluate our subscription prices to see if we are continuing to be fair to you and to our team.
- You are responsible for maintaining the security of your account and password. The Company cannot and will not be liable for any loss or damage from your failure to comply with this security obligation.
- You may not use the Services for any purpose outlined in the Restricted Uses section of our Community Safety Policy
- You are responsible for all content posted and activity that occurs under your account. That includes content posted by others who either: (a) have access to your login credentials; or (b) have their own logins under your account.
- You must be a human. Accounts registered by "bots" or other automated methods are not permitted and will be terminated.
- If we have previously suspended or terminated your account for violating our Terms or Policies, you cannot use another Frenlo user's account or create a new Frenlo account yourself. You are not permitted to use Frenlo in any capacity unless this decision is reversed.
- You must be at least 17 years old to use our service.
Payment, Refunds, and Plan Changes
Subscriptions and in-app purchases are processed through the Apple App Store and are subject to relevant terms.
- We do not sell your data, regardless of whether you are paying for a subscription or not.
- For paid Services that offer a free trial, we explain the length of trial when you sign up. After the trial period, you need to pay in advance to keep using the Service. If you do not pay, we will freeze your account and it will be inaccessible until you make payment through the App Store. If your account has been frozen for a while, we will queue it up for auto-cancellation.
- For all upgrades, the App Store will charge your card immediately and your billing cycle starts on the day of the upgrade. For downgrades or cancellations, the new rate starts from the next billing cycle.
- All fees are exclusive of all taxes, levies, or duties imposed by taxing authorities. Where required, we will collect those taxes on behalf of the taxing authority and remit those taxes to taxing authorities. Otherwise, you are responsible for payment of all taxes, levies, or duties.
We know how frustrating a bad refund policy is, so we tried to make our refund policy one that we would want as a consumer. If you're unhappy with our Services, you can cancel your subscription at any time. If you were just charged for your next month of service but you meant to cancel, we're happy to refund that extra charge. In-app purchases or subscriptions paid for through the Apple App store will need to be refunded through the App Store as well.
Note: If you were suspended from Frenlo for violating any of our policies, you will not receive a refund for any remaining subscription period after your account is terminated.
Cancellation and Termination
- If you upgraded through the Apple App store, you'll need to cancel through your Apple account. Otherwise, you can email us at [email protected] and we can take care of that for you. After your subscription is cancelled, you'll retain your upgraded access until your next billing date, at which time you will lose access to Frenlo's platform.
- If you cancel the Service before the end of your current paid up month, you will retain access to the Service until the end of that paid billing cycle.
- We have the right to suspend or terminate your account and refuse any and all current or future use of our Services for any reason at any time. Suspension means you and any other users on your account will not be able to access the account or any content in the account through the Services. Termination will furthermore result in the deletion of your account or your access to your account, and the forfeiture and relinquishment of all content in your account. We also reserve the right to refuse the use of the Services to anyone for any reason at any time. There are some things we staunchly stand against and this clause is how we exercise that stance. For more details, see our Restricted Uses in our Community Safety Policy.
- We welcome criticism and feedback both on and off our platform. However, verbal, physical, written or other abuse (including threats of abuse or retribution) of a Company employee or officer will result in immediate account termination.
Modifications to the Service and Prices
- We reserve the right at any time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, any part of our Services with or without notice. We will do our best to support the features our users believe are critical.
- Sometimes we change the pricing structure for our products. When we do that, we tend to exempt existing customers from those changes. However, we may choose to change the prices for existing customers. If we do so, we will give at least 30 days notice and will notify you via the email address on record.
Uptime, Security, and Privacy
- Your use of the Services is at your sole risk. We provide these Services on an "as is" and "as available" basis.
- Data is encrypted in transit using HTTPS and at rest. We use industry standard application security protocols.
To help you with support requests you make. We'll ask for express consent before accessing your account.
On the rare occasions when an error occurs that stops an automated process partway through. We get automated alerts when such errors occur. When we can fix the issue and restart automated processing without looking at any personal data, we do. In rare cases, we have to look at a minimum amount of personal data to fix the issue. In these rare cases, we aim to fix the root cause as much as possible to avoid the errors from reoccurring.
To keep our communities safe. We'll look at logs and metadata as part of our work to ensure the security of your data and the Services as a whole. If necessary, we may also access accounts as part of an abuse report investigation.
You may not interact with or use Frenlo in a way that could disable or impair the intended and proper working of our Service.
We use third party vendors and hosting partners to provide the necessary hardware, software, networking, storage, and related technology required to run the Services. You can see a list of all subprocessors who handle personal data for Frenlo.
These Service Terms incorporate the Frenlo Data Processing Addendum ("DPA"), when the General Data Protection regulation ("GDPR") applies to your use of Frenlo Services to process Customer Data as defined in the DPA. The DPA is effective as of January 25, 2021 and replaces and supersedes any previously agreed data processing addendum between you and Frenlo, LLC relating to the GDPR.
Copyright and Content Ownership
- All content posted on the Services must comply with U.S. copyright law.
- We claim no intellectual property rights over the material you provide to the Services. All materials uploaded remain yours. We may ask some users if we can share your content for marketing purposes, but we will only do so if we get explicit permission from you and we will only use it in the way you have explicitly granted permission for us to use it.
- We do not pre-screen content, but reserve the right (but not the obligation) in our sole discretion to refuse or remove any content that is available via the Service.
- You agree not to reproduce, duplicate, copy, sell, resell or exploit any portion of the Services, use of the Services, or access to the Services without the express written permission by the Company.
- You must not modify another website so as to falsely imply that it is associated with the Services or the Company.
Features and Bugs
We design our Services with care, based on our own experience and the experiences of customers who share their time and feedback. However, we make no guarantees that our Services will meet your specific requirements or expectations.
We test all of our features extensively before shipping them. We track any bugs reported to us and work through priority ones, especially any related to security or privacy. Not all reported bugs will get fixed and we don't guarantee completely error-free Services.
We mention liability throughout these Terms but to put it all in one section:
You expressly understand and agree that the Company shall not be liable, in law or in equity, to you or to any third party for any direct, indirect, incidental, lost profits, special, consequential, punitive or exemplary damages, including, but not limited to, damages for loss of profits, goodwill, use, data or other intangible losses (even if the Company has been advised of the possibility of such damages), resulting from: (i) the use or the inability to use the Services; (ii) the cost of procurement of substitute goods and services resulting from any goods, data, information or services purchased or obtained or messages received or transactions entered into through or from the Services; (iii) unauthorized access to or alteration of your transmissions or data; (iv) statements or conduct of any third party on the service; (v) or any other matter relating to this Terms of Service or the Services, whether as a breach of contract, tort (including negligence whether active or passive), or any other theory of liability.
If you have a question about any of the Terms of Service, or if you have suggestions on how we can improve these, please email our support team at [email protected]